The Art of the Heartland 2017
Art of the Heartland
SouthWest Artists, Inc.
P. O. Box 871
Mena, AR 71953
Entry Deadline: 8/15/17
Days remaining to deadline: 79
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 10
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 10
Entry Fee (Non-Member Fee The Art of the Heartland): $45.00
Media Fee (per sample over minimum): $25.00
Show Date: Oct. 4 – 28
About SouthWest Artists, Inc. (SWA)
SWA is a 501(C)3, nonprofit organization founded in 1945. The Art of the Heartland juried competition is a project of SWA. The competition is hosted by SWA’s Mena Art Gallery, situated in the heart of the Ouachita Mountains and National Forest of 1.5 million acres, providing endless Plein Air painting and photo opportunities. A Plein Air Paint Out is always offered in conjunction with this show.
The focus in the jury process will be to select representational paintings with the highest quality and diversity of subject matter that depict the best of America, its landscape, lifestyle, animals and people. The selection jury will consist of three professional artists.
Eligibility - Eligible artist locations include all of the United States, or other countries, as long as the American focus is considered in the subject of the painting. Artists must be 18 years or older.
Best in Show: $4,000
Bob Carver Memorial Award: $1,500
The VanWolf Arkansas Artist Award: $1,000
Forbis Memorial Award for Animal Art: $1,000
SWA Landscape Award of Merit: $500
SWA Figurative Award of Merit: $500
SWA Still Life Award of Merit: $500
People’s Choice: Certificate
Judge - The awarding judge is the world renowned artist, Andre Pater, considered by the international art community to be the greatest in the sporting art field since Alfred Munnings and the heir to the artistic throne vacated when the revered Munnings died. As affirmation of that genius, the London exhibit sold out the over 30 paintings offered to a huge, enthusiastic crowd in only 21 minutes. At a Sotheby’s Sporting Art sale, an Andre Pater pastel set the record for a non-oil work by a living artist. Recently, another pastel set a world record, selling for $250,000 at public auction. His work is consistently the high selling works in each show or auction in which he is represented.
Liabilities and Responsibilities - SouthWest Artists, Inc. and/or the Mena Art Gallery will not be responsible for loss or damage of any art work, no matter the cause. By submitting art work to this exhibition, each artist agrees to this statement. Art work is not insured by SWA/Mena Art Gallery during shipment and exhibition. Adequate insurance is recommended and the sole responsibility of the artist.
Specifications for paintings
· All entries must be the original work of the artist created after May 1, 2014 and done without the supervision of an instructor, mechanical copy aides, or computer programs.
· No replicas of any portion of another artist’s published or copyrighted work may be included.
· No photographs or over-painted photographs.
· Image size must be no smaller than 7” X 10” ready to hang with wire (no saw tooth hangers). Paintings requiring glazing are preferred to be under acrylic glazing (i.e. Plexiglas). SWA assumes no responsibility for breakage or static damage.
· No abstract, collage, mosaic, wax, digital images, any form of print or reproductions will be accepted.
· Maximum size, including framing, should not exceed 38 inches in either direction. Gallery wrap is acceptable with preferred borders including the painting extending around the sides.
· All work must be for sale and reflect the artist’s current pricing structure.
· An artist who withdraws an entry after acceptance into the exhibition or fails to make entry payment after submission, shall not be eligible to enter any SWA exhibition for the two succeeding years.
· Acceptable work may include oil, water soluble oils, watercolor, casein, gouche, egg tempera, acrylic, watercolor pencil, graphite, ink or colored pencil and pastel.
Only Electronic submissions will be accepted, they must be made through the Call for Entries (CaFÉ) System. Dates for submission of entries are: May 15 – August 15, 2017. (No printed photo or slide entries will be accepted.) Digital Images should be a minimum of 1920 pixels at the smallest dimension. They can be a maximum of 5 MB in size.
The artist retains copyright to his/her image(s). However, accepted images will become part of SWA archives and may be used for this or future SWA event promotion.
Jurying Fees - The jurying fee for electronic entries is as follows: $45 for the first and $25 for each additional entry. A code for members in good standing will be used for a $20 member discount.
Membership - Your entry will be accepted, provided the membership fee is included with or before your CaFÉ application. Membership information may also be found on the www.TheArtOfTheHeartland.com website or the SWA website: www.SouthwestArtists.org and click on “About SWA.”
Signature Membership status may be earned by member artists after they have been accepted into three SWA National Exhibitions or have won Awards in two SWA National Exhibitions. Signature Status may also be earned by artists who have won three or more awards in SWA Regional Exhibitions (i.e. Small Works Show, Ouachita Expressions Show, SWA Photography Show). To retain status, membership must remain current. Qualifying artists may request a Signature Membership application by calling the gallery or by email.
Paint Outs, Events, Etc. - For information on the Plein Air Paint Out, events, and other perks in conjunction with the AHL show visit our Facebook group page, ART OF THE HEARTLAND NATIONAL EXHIBITION, or go to www.TheArtoftheHeartland.com. Details and enrollment information will be posted there as they become available.
Sales Expenses - A 30% donation to SWA is expected for all paintings sold. Please take this into consideration when setting your price. All work that is submitted must be for sale. No NFS paintings.
Delivery and Return of Accepted Work - Artists pay for shipping and insurance both ways with Fed Ex or UPS only. We recommend artists make arrangements to insure their work for its full value. Accepted paintings should be sent to arrive between September 10, 2017 and September 26, 2017 to the following:
SouthWest Artists, Inc.